Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Holy Guacamole!

I'll save you the excuses as to why I haven't blogged and just say that I'm here now!  Let's get started...this might take awhile.

I went back to Indianapolis from June 2-July 24.  I had a wonderful time seeing all (most) of you!  My boyfriend, Daniel, also came to the States with me for the first 9 days I was home.  It was his first time there, so, he was fascinated with things like carpet, dishwashers, garbage disposals, cheap prices (on certain things), safe driving, the lack of tinted windows, and FLAT land.


I arrived back home on July 24 and went straight to language school in Antigua.  I spent 2 weeks filling my brain with as much Spanish as possible.  I lived with a Guatemalan family and walked a mile each way to the school and back 4 times a day.  The family was so sweet and I really enjoyed getting to know them.  This is me with my "mom" Irma.

 This is the view from my school...BEAUTIFUL!!

I had so many wonderful cultural experiences in Antigua (not the least of which included me falling on the cobblestone streets).  Living with the family and speaking Spanish 6 hours a day was a difficult but very rewarding time.  I wish I could have stayed until I was fluent!

I left Antigua on August 6 and went to my new apartment!  I love my new place and my new roommate, CeCe.  We get along great..except...she forgot to tell me that I could flush the toilet paper at our house!  I just assumed we couldn't since you can't almost everywhere else.  6 weeks and I've been throwing the TP in the trash.  Sheesh... :)

School is going great.  I LOVE my kids and am so glad I have the same class from last year.  We did lose a couple and gain a couple, but I am so happy to see them every morning.  I spent quite a bit of time painting and fixing up my new room...I know you're dying to see the finished product!  ;)



Would you call the color on the walls "smurf blue" or "ocean blue"?  Be careful how you answer that!!  The real color is Azul Rivera with a can of white added.  That's exactly what you would have called it too, right??


Of course, I can't post without showing you pictures of my little people!  They are rotten sometimes, but I love them ALL the time.  :)  I have more to share, but I think that's enough for one post.  Look for another one coming soon!  I'm pretty sure I'll post before 3 months has passed...

2 comments:

  1. HaHaHa...I'm so used to facebook, that I was looking for a "like" button to like your post! :)

    ReplyDelete