As many of you know, my class of kiddos is quite diverse. I LOVE it. I love hearing them talk and going back and forth between English, Spanish, Korean, back to English, some more Spanish, etc...all in one sentence. While I enjoy hearing it and think it's quite adorable, I get lost when the Korean words start coming. I can handle English and Spanish, but Korean is another story. I don't understand it at all. So, when there was an "incident" the other day on the playground, I was "up a creek without a paddle" as my dad always said. Here's what happened.
Student 1- "Miss Rigel, Student 2 called me a bad name in Korean!"
Miss Rigel- "Student 2, what did you call Student 1?"
Student 2- "I called him a lajdflkajoiiwehfoajkdjfweoa."
Miss Rigel- ".........."
Miss Rigel- "Ok, Student 2, don't call Student 1 a lajdflkajoiiwehfoajkdjfweoa again, please. Jesus wants us to be kind to one another."
Student 2- "But Miss Rigel, it's not a bad name!"
Student 1- "Yes it is! A lajdflkajoiiwehfoajkdjfweoa is a akldjflwjeeaoeijf and a oiwejojfalkjaldflk and that's not nice!"
Student 2- "No it's not! alkdjlajklwjeoirjealkfjakd is a bad name, but lajdflkajoiiwehfoajkdjfweoa is not. weioruialjdlkfakflwefjlweoijflakfjlwajoeijaoijeiwawoaijfowejioajfowjowfaojidfa....."
(At this point, I was beyond lost, so I had to end it.)
Miss Rigel- "Ok, Student 1 and Student 2, please just be kind and maybe take a little break from each other right now."
Students 1 and 2- "Ok, Miss Rigel."
Miss Rigel, walking away defeated- "I need to learn Korean."
And just for kicks, an adorable picture of some of my Korean loves...these were not the ones arguing, by the way. :)
They are too cute, I could just eat them up! :)
Oh my goodness!! So funny!! How did you not start laughing!! Don't feel defeated...you are an amazing teacher...and even amazing teachers don't know everything! That is what life is all about...always learning, always growing! :) Just keep loving your students and doing what you're doing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lins! You are always such an encouragement to me! I couldn't be here without you. :)
ReplyDelete