Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lizzie is here!


Today's Blog is brought to you by my best friend and fellow blogger, Lizzie Talcott!  (you can find her blog at www.wanderwithlizzie.com)

Back together again!
Many of you know that Amy and I have been best friends for over 20 years.  So when we decided to move to different countries, it was just an added dynamic to our multifaceted friendship.  When Amy moved to Guatemala, I moved to China.  About as far away as possible...literally.  I'm now back in the States, so I get the joy of visiting Amy in Guatemala.  I've been here for 6 days now and it's been wonderful.  I've met her students, been to her hangouts, and vacationed on the beach.

However, on Sunday night we went to a large production of Via Dolorosa (the Way of Suffering).  This is an annual event at the beginning of Semana Santa (Holy Week).  A HUGE church in the area puts it on and it is spectacular.  Lights, dancing, singing, costumes, and people flying through the air - next step cirque du soliel!  The Pharisees were my favorite...they looked like a Conjunto band with white painted faces...and sometimes they sang to the ChaCha!

All humor aside, it was amazing!  The acting and singing were great.  I think we often forget that the Words are meant to be lived, and a play vividly reminds us of that.  The crucifixion scene was horrific...as it should be.  Tears fell down the cheeks of all of those around me as they watched Christ take their suffering - Via Dolorosa.

But...then something strange happened.  In an auditorium of 20,000 getting out of your parking spot can take time, and apparently a lot of people were thinking about that.  They were probably thinking about the dinners to be eaten, check lists to be completed, and emails to be answered.  Right after the crucifixion scene, hundreds of people stood and left.  They left to get out of the parking garage easily...to finish their to do lists...to live their lives.

I could sit in a seat of judgement, but don't we do the same?  We thank God for dying and forgiving our sins, and then we go about our day.  How many of us stick around to remember the resurrection.  To remember that He took our sins AND defeated death.  He ascended to Heaven so the Spirit could come and empower us to live our lives.  The truth hit home...I live in gratitude for the forgiveness, but I live my life forgetting about the power of the resurrection that is mine!  That power is mine!  He sent his Spirit to empower me to live each day in victory.

So, for this Easter...give thanks for the Crucifixion and live in the Resurrection.

Happy Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment