Thursday, March 8, 2012

Old as the hills...and then some

It's official.  I'm older than the hills...and then some, according to recent studies in my third grade class.  We all think it's "cute" when kids think we're older than we really are.  But really??  Yesterday, it came up that in the "old days", there were no forks to eat with, so people used a different kind of utensil. 

"Miss Rigel, did they have forks when YOU were little???"

Seriously.

"No dear, we didn't have forks.  In fact, Methuselah and I were good friends.  We sat around and ate with our hands like cavemen.  They came out with forks not long after Methuselah died at the age of 969.  He would have loved to have seen that invention.  Good thing I was around to see it.  Lucky for you, you get to eat with forks now."

Is it because I'm wearing my hair differently?  Is it because I fall asleep at 7pm?  Is it because I have grey hair that these darling children haven given me...and point out to me daily with no mercy?   The only thing that keeps me from crawling in a hole and dying (since I'm that old, it's apparently time) is the fact that the mother of one of my boys told me the other day, "My son came home the other day and said, 'Miss Rigel is so beautiful, mom.'" 

At least I'm a "beautiful" old lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment