I have a general rule here in Guatemala...don't ask, don't tell. This goes for everything...especially food. I believe in this philosophy so much, that I don't even worry about what I'm eating anymore. Don't tell me, I don't want to know. I'll just sit here and eat my pig brains in peace, thank you very much.
Sometimes I don't know what meat I'm eating. It all looks the same to me, so I figure it's something I've had before. At a recent meal, I sat down to a plate of meat, rice, and the usual red sauce we have here. "Delicious" I thought, "I'm hungry!" I ate it quickly and finished first (as ALWAYS happens...this comes from having 15 minutes to eat lunch when I was in grade school and we weren't allowed to finish our food if we weren't done. Ain't no way I'm missing out on any of my food!) After I finished, someone at the head of the table asked, "Wow, you really enjoyed that cow tongue, didn't you???"
Say what?
The best part is...I did. I enjoyed the cow tongue. Had I known it was cow tongue BEFORE I ate it, I might have eaten it begrudgingly and found a reason to say I didn't prefer it, just because, who goes around saying, "I love cow tongue!"?
Lesson: You never know if you'll like something until you try it!
AND
Don't ask what you're eating. Just eat it and smile.
LOL!!!! I love it!! (Don't know if I can do it -- not ask that is, but I sure loved hearing your story)!! :)
ReplyDelete