Saturday, August 14, 2010

Donuts, firecrackers, bumps and bruises

I have to say, my tailbone has had enough of these meetings sitting on metal chairs!   It's my fault, I need to bring the donut.  But what I thought I should do, is get these new people to like me first, then bring in the donut.  It is a conversation piece, but perhaps not the conversation you'd like to have.  Mental note: bring donut next week for more meetings all week.

This afternoon, I went out to eat with some of the other teachers and the Dean of Students, Melanie.  My host family, Sherry and Javier, had met us there.  After we ate, I was going to go with Sherry and Javier, instead of riding in Melanie's van.  So I go back to Melanie's van to pick up some books and was walking to Sherry and Javier's car.  I had to walk up some concrete steps, and I totally bit the dust, going UP.  My books went flying and I said out loud, "Ouch!"  There happened to be a guard walking up the stairs with me, (they are very wide) and I looked at him and he looked at me, and he just kept on walking.  Thanks, Mr. Good Samaritan!   I now have some pretty good bruises and scrapes.

Tonight I heard the loudest firecrackers I have ever heard. They were right outside my window.  I know they usually only do that for birthdays, parties, it's the 3rd Tuesday of the month, etc.  I understand this is standard procedure.  But WOW were they loud.  I was skyping with a friend and she could hear them, 2,000 miles away!  ;) 

Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me nervous for your tailbone. Just please remember this fall so that when a medical practioner asks you how you got hurt, you will have an answer ;) I'm praying for you and you are going to be wonderful with your students. I learned that "winging it" was sufficient some days ;)

    ReplyDelete