Monday, September 27, 2010

Kids say the funniest things...

I'm sorry if this is another story with too much information, but I think it's funny!  My kids constantly say the funniest things and I have to laugh.  (Names have been changed to protect their identity)

-After all but one of my students returned from bathroom break I said, "Sally, it doesn't take that long to go to the bathroom, you've now missed part of our lesson."  Sally says-in front of the rest of the class- "But Miss Rigel, I had to go #2 and it was really hard!"  2 things-I'm sorry I asked and also make a mental note to talk to her mother about possible constipation.  Lovely!

-The other day Elaina was giving me a prayer request for her ear.  "My ear hurts when I lay on it, like even on things that are soft and not hard...like my mommy's tummy.  It's really squishy, but my ear still hurts when I lay my head on it."  I'm sure your mother (who is very beautiful and skinny, by the way) would appreciate you telling the entire class that her tummy is "squishy".

-We had been talking about missionaries, and how a lot of their families are missionaries.  I explained that their moms and dads are here because they want to tell people about Jesus!  Elaina says, "My mommy doesn't, she doesn't really like it here, (in Guatemala) because people steal things.  Like when her $1000 camera and my daddy's laptop got stolen."  Oops.

In other news, I was privileged to help Randy and Brenda on Saturday with a Quinceñara for Rebecca Hernandez, the daughter of one of the pastors.  Rebecca is one of the girls I tutored in English when I was here last year.  A Quinceñara is a big deal in Latin American countries.  It's a celebration for a girl's 15th birthday.  It's almost like a wedding.  She has friends that are a part of the day, they all get their hair done and get all dressed up.  She also carries a bouquet!  Rebecca was (is) absolutely beautiful!  We had a good time serving 60 people lunch!

 The cake was gorgeous!

 Brenda's sister, Janiece, was here from Washington and helped too!


 Me and the birthday girl

 Leslie, a friend of Randy and Brenda's
It was cold, so I was warming my feet by the oven!
The group that served.  There was a team here from Missouri, 4 guys that did some construction
work down by the coast.  Tim, John, Rick, and Gary

I also got to babysit on Friday night.  After a 6 weeks of no babysitting, I finally got to!  It was wonderful of course, but it made me miss all the babies back home.  :(  

Today we started our week-long standardized testing.  Yay.  Try teaching 2nd graders how to fill out that silly grid sheet for the first time.  They couldn't understand putting one letter in each box and filling in the corresponding circle.  Then when it came to their birthdays, they didn't know what year they were born, or what "number" their birthday month was.  (i.e. September is written with a 9, October with a 10, etc.)  It took us an hour to fill out 3 parts of it.  I finally said forget it, I'll do it later!  I was only having them do it because I thought THEY had to be the ones to fill it out, as was the case at my previous school.  I found out that there is no such rule here, so I will be finishing them later!

Hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment