Thursday, September 23, 2010

What I've learned so far

I thought I'd share with you a few things I've learned so far, now having been here for 6 weeks.  I'm sure there is much more to learn in 8 more months!

1. The rain never stops during rainy season.  It could potentially rain 5 times in one day. 
2. During said rainy season, an extra change of clothes and extra pair of shoes should always be kept at school.  It was raining so hard on Tuesday, that my pants were soaked, and I was literally pouring the water out of my shoes.  I then wrung out my socks and made a puddle on the ground.  Then I was freezing, because I was wet- and this was all with an umbrella! 
3. Not to be gross, but I have come to accept the fact that I will have black boogers for the next 8 months.  That's the way it is with the diesel and smog around here. 
4. Riding in a 23-year-old Suzuki Jeep along the bumpy roads of Guatemala does wonders for a person's tailbone injury.  :)
5. Mosquito bites are a given...at least I think they're mosquito bites.  They show up in places that force a person to think, "Now how in the world did a mosquito get THERE?"  Eww! 

I can't think of the others I had...another post for another day!  Goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. This post was classic. Thanks for sharing about everything and I mean everything. Sorry about your tailbone :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Shonda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your posts, Amy. It sounds like God is going to give you a lot of interesting experiences this year. I'm proud of you for stepping out in faith to do this, and will keep you in my prayers. Here is my latest quote for you from Zeke: He was at our house eating a slice of hot buttered cinnammon bread and he says, "Grandpa, cinnamon bread is a lot better than not-cinnamon bread."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Zeke is a character! I can just imagine Malachi joining in one day. The two of them together (and any other siblings!) will be unstoppable. :) Thank you for the prayers, I appreciate it more than you know!

    ReplyDelete