Friday, September 3, 2010

Open House

Tonight was Open House/Back to School night!  I also had to be at school early for a meeting.  7:15am-8:30pm is a long day to be on your feet.  It went really well tonight.  The kids were excited, I was excited, and the parents seemed excited.  :)  They were all very kind to me and welcomed me to Guatemala.  The problem I had was understanding what half of them were saying.  I have several children in my class that are Korean.  Koreans trying to talk to you in Spanish just doesn't work very well.  They were very kind, and I'm sure they could tell that I didn't have a clue as to what they were saying.  I need to learn Spanish, fast!  The school does require that at least one parent speak English...but I guess those parents weren't there tonight.  Also, it seems that the students thought that since it was outside school hours, that naturally my room turns into a Bounce House at 7pm.  They were running all over the room going crazy, but since there parents were there letting them, I couldn't say anything.  Oh well, what can you do?  It was nice to see the parents and get a chance to meet them! 

Please pray for a parent of one of my students.  The student's name is Sadie, and the mother's name is Shirley.  Shirley has brain cancer and is receiving daily chemotherapy.  The mother is Guatemalan, the father is North American, and Sadie is adopted from the Ukraine.  She is a very sweet little girl.  They have given Shirley 2 months-2 years.  Thank you!

Well, my weekend plans include...grading papers!  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy... your blog always makes me smile!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad, I have fun writing them! Sometimes, after I write it I think, "Wow, that sounds crazy!" But it's always true! :) Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy checking in on your activities in Guatemala, Amy. I know you will be a blessing to those kids. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete